Thanks to everyone who participated in our second annual relay event! Photos of the event are here. And a special thank-you to Kristy Scott of Mountain FM for doing such a terrific job of announcing and emceeing!
The skies were overcast and rain threatened, but nothing could dampen the enthusiasm of the 138 participants — many of them children — in the second annual Specialty Subaru Fall Tune-Up Relay, held on September 29th at Dougall Park in Gibsons Landing. In fact, conditions were ideal for running — mild and calm and no sun in the eyes. Volunteers from the organizing group Arbutus Sounds Chorus kept the participants fuelled up with lots of refreshments donated by event sponsors, and the harmonious vocal sounds of women's barbershop playing in the background. Lively commentating by Mountain FM's Kristy Scott kept things moving along.
Twenty teams competed in the 4x4km division, while sixteen teams of 12&U kids and families took on the 4x2km challenge — double the number in this division last year. This was mainly due to the temptation of $400 worth of sports equipment for the Elementary School Challenge, awarded to the school with the highest percentage of participation. Surprisingly, even with this large an incentive, only three schools entered teams: Langdale, Roberts Creek and Halfmoon Bay.
Langdale Elementary had no problem rounding up eight teams in short order and handily won the Challenge with 19% of the school participating. Some parents even ran with the younger children, which was encouraged by the organizers. For their efforts the school received an impressive trophy and $400 of sports equipment from the supplier of their choice, courtesy of Specialty Subaru. Second place school was Roberts Creek Elementary with 4 teams — they were rewarded with $19 credit at an awards and engraving supplier.
In the overall 4 x 2 km team results, family Team Pomfret reversed last year's results and outran a youth team from Roberts Creek Elementary by a margin of just 4 seconds to come first in 35:14, knocking 24 seconds off the course record in the process. Having the full family on the Pomfret team must have made the difference — last year one of the children was laid up with a broken arm and had to find a substitute in the week before the race.
While not first overall, the Roberts Creek #4 team of Stephens-Whale, Jones, Richey and Stephens-Whale was first in the Youth category and won gold medals for their efforts, followed by schoolmates Roberts Creek #2 for silver (38:22), and Langdale #1 for bronze (40:03).
In the 4 x 4km division, leading times were slower this year but competition was tighter, with open men's team "Fall Guys" completing the course in 1:05:01, 40 seconds ahead of masters men's team "JJKC". Both teams are from the Sunshine Coast. Third place overall was claimed by a junior men's team from Elphinstone Secondary, "Elphi Gold", in 1:12:01. Top mixed team was "R.S.L.D.", 4th overall in 1:14:07, while the first all-women's team to cross the line was masters team "Moms on the Run" in 1:29:06. First 2-person team completing 16k was the enthusiastic "GELDAWGZ" from Vancouver (1:28:11). Spectators were particularly impressed with the speed of Racewalk West, a race walking team from Vancouver, who finished ahead of 7 running teams.
Top team in each of Open Men, Open Mixed and Open Women received, in addition to medals, 4 x $25 gift certificates from sponsoring stores North Shore Athletics and The Run Inn. Gazillions of draw prizes were given away — enough for everyone (including the volunteers) to go home with a goodie or two. Grand prizes included a large gift basket from the Natural Foods Store in Gibsons, a $70 sports supplement from The Medicine Shoppe, nights for two at the Maritimer, Marina House and Skyline Lodge B&B's, two $100 gift certificates from North Shore Athletics, a total of 6 pairs of running shoes from Asics and from Trail Bay Sports, and 4 round-trip VIA rail passes from Victoria to Comox courtesy of Howe Sound Pharmacy.
4 x 4 km Results
Total distance 16.73 km = 10.4 mi
Overall (20 teams) 1. Fall Guys (OPEN MEN) 1:05:01 2. JJKC (MAST MEN) 1:05:41 3. Elphi Gold (JR MEN) 1:12:01 4. R.S.L.D. (OPEN MIX) 1:14:07 5. Les Tortues (MAST MEN) 1:16:24 6. Elphi Grads '02 (JR MEN) 1:17:26 7. Elphi Junior (JR MIX) 1:17:34 8. KinFit Coyotes (OPEN MIX) 1:18:31 9. Sechelt Road Masters (MAST MIX) 1:20:08 10. Emus (OPEN MIX) 1:20:42 11. Chatelech Harriers (JR MEN) 1:23:36 12. Racewalk West (OPEN MIX) 1:24:17 13. Kaatz (OPEN MIX) 1:27:38 14. GELDAWGZ (2x8K - 1st team) 1:28:11 15. Moms on the Run (MAST WOMEN) 1:29:06 16. M & M's (OPEN WOMEN) 1:33:12 17. The Bruces (2x8K - 2nd team) 1:34:07 18. The Way We Are (OPEN WOMEN) 1:36:55 19. North of 40 (MAST WOMEN) 1:43:09 20. Racewalk West #2 (OPEN MIX) 1:47:07
1. Fall Guys (Geoff Bevan, John Kitson, Anthony Estey, Michael Fryer)
1. M & M's (Teresa Moase, Sarah McIntyre, Julie McIntyre, Jenny Moase)
2. The Way We Are (Debra Hovey, Liz Dilasser, Fiona Wilson, Rebecca Hovey)
1. R.S.L.D. (Renie Veale, Steve Weber, Lana Rose, David Barnum)
2. KinFit Coyotes (Adam Euerby, Paul Wright, Meegan McGillivray, Kim Zimmerman)
3. Emus (Steve Kirby, Guy Hazelton, Sonya Bergen, Susan Blair)
4. Racewalk West (Gerry Dragomir, Sharon Yen, Blair Miller, Karen Foan)
5. Kaatz (Pam Kaatz, Angela Sears, Jeremy Hunt, Robert Kaatz)
6. Racewalk West #2 (Faune Johnson, Kyosti Sutela, Tracy Ross, Jackie Gill)
1. JJKC (Ken Grunenberg, John Phare, Jon Chapman, Carl Green)
2. Les Tortues (David Moul, Nöelline Bellemare, Daniel Tardif, Lorne Sammartino)
1. Moms on the Run (Sue Lamb, Sylvia Bisbee, Lorina Bates, Marilyn Downey)
2. North of 40 (Barb Watt, Nancy Mackay, Debbie Amaral, Anne Fraser)
1. Sechelt Road Masters (Allen Whittleton, Linda Patrick, Trevor Fawcett, Susan Hunt)
1. Elphi Gold (Clayton Fox, Liam Bryant, Mike Fox, Brian Poole)
2. Elphi Grads '02 (Aron Nolte, Brent Collins, Lauren Evanson, Jonathon Beggs)
3. Chatelech Harriers (Peter Metcalfe, Arnold Lau, Anja Nissler, Alex Rhines)
1. Elphi Junior (Katrina Jones, Shane Morrissey, Jenna Nestman, Nathan Yim)
2 x 8k
1. GELDAWGZ (Janet Christie, Andrea Brynjolfson)
2. The Bruces (Shirley Bruce, Gordie Bruce)
4 x 2 km Results
Total distance 8.36 km = 5.2 mi
Overall (16 teams) 1. Team Pomfret (FAMILY) 35:14 2. Roberts Creek 4 (YOUTH) 35:18 3. Roberts Creek 2 (YOUTH) 38:22 4. Langdale 1 (YOUTH) 40:03 5. Killer Whales (FAMILY) 40:25 6. Roberts Creek 1 (YOUTH) 40:32 7. Roberts Creek 3 (YOUTH) 42:28 8. H.M.B. City Runners (YOUTH) 42:57 9. Langdale 2 (YOUTH) 43:46 10. The Gang of 4 (FAMILY) 44:21 11. Langdale 3 (YOUTH) 50:44 12. Langdale 7 (YOUTH) 52:14 13. Langdale 4 (YOUTH) 52:34 14. Langdale 8 (YOUTH) 52:39 15. Langdale 5 (YOUTH) 52:49 16. Langdale 6 (YOUTH) 57:48
1. Roberts Creek 4 (S. Stephens-Whale, C. Jones, C. Richey, J. Stephens-Whale)
2. Roberts Creek 2 (R. Van Wersch, J. Law, C. Krangle, K. Richey)
3. Langdale 1 (T. Krohman, H. Bakker, S. Nattrass, L. Benger)
4. Roberts Creek 1 (C. Richey, N. Campbell, S. Richey, J. Van't Schip)
5. Roberts Creek 3 (E. Krangle, M. Kane, E. Van Wersch, K. Pomfret)
6. H.M.B. City Runners (G. Lamb, M. Mitson, K. Bates, J. Horn)
7. Langdale 2 (L. Wong, S. Maedel, T. Hatfull, R. Bakker)
8. Langdale 3 (G. Clair, N. Wells, K. Krohman, T. Daniels)
9. Langdale 7 (D. Vermeulen, C. Fyles, J. Chung, C. Newcomb)
10. Langdale 4 (L. Carlson, A. Burow, N. Mohadjel, K. Leong)
11. Langdale 8 (J. MacDougall, M. Wells, L. Wilson, C. Parry)
12. Langdale 5 (A. Storvold, L. Burow, A. Paris, H. Perry)
13. Langdale 6 (B. O'Reilly, T. Clair, K. Nanson, N. Nygren)
1. Team Pomfret (Lexa, Jay, Kendra & James Pomfret)
2. Killer Whales (Ian Whale, Jan Stevens, S. Stephens-Whale, J. Stephens-Whale)
3. The Gang of 4 (Lisa Desaulniers, M. Desaulniers, Pat Swadden, P. Swadden)